Good stuff here.
Q. What counts as making a good-faith effort? A. We have adapted 6 good suggestions from http://feministphilosophers.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/how-to-avoid-a-gendered-conference/ In brief:
- Set yourself the task of thinking of female names
- Since women are overrepresented at lower prestige institutions, don't stop searching once you have exhausted the people at high-prestige * institutions
- Do a search for women's names in the relevant areas
- Plan ahead, so that women, who might have more non-work responsibilities, have adequate time to make arrangements
- Don't automatically structure your conference – or part of it – around an eminent man but consider building it around a woman
- Provide adequate funding so that women, who may have fewer resources, will be able to afford to come Inquire about child care needs (for both men and women).